Making the choice to see a trained mental health professional to discuss and evaluate behaviors, patterns, and thoughts can result in significant positive change in one’s life. This is why individual therapy programs are usually part of comprehensive addiction treatment plans. However, anyone can avail themselves of individual counseling–even if they don’t have a mental health diagnosis that needs professional help in managing.
If you’re looking for individual addiction therapy in Ohio as part of addiction treatment, contact Midwest Detox Center. Call 833.647.0392 or reach out to our team online.
What Is an Individual Therapy Program?
You may picture individual therapy programs the way they’re portrayed in popular media–with the client lying down on a couch while a therapist listens to them talk and takes notes. While a scene like this may be common in a therapist’s office, it doesn’t really explain individual therapy programs.
In talk therapy, a mental health professional works with the client on a one-to-one basis–typically during in-person sessions that last anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes–in a safe and nurturing space. It is, by far, the most common type of therapy. The primary goal of an individual therapy program is to increase the understanding of a client’s behaviors, patterns, and thoughts to help improve their well-being and the efficiency of their normal functions. Individual therapy also focuses on building trust, a strong rapport, and a positive connection between the client and the mental health professional–who can be a:
- Licensed clinical social worker
- Marriage and family therapist
- Psychiatric nurse practitioner
- Students and trainees under the supervision of a licensed therapist
During individual therapy sessions, clients can learn to effectively manage interpersonal difficulties, troubling situations, and stress. They may develop new abilities and skills to help them become more self-aware, make healthy decisions, and set life goals.
How Does Individual Therapy Benefit Addiction Recovery?
What is the connection between individual therapy and addiction recovery? Individual therapy is an important part of comprehensive addiction treatment programs because studies and observations show that it provides benefits, such as the following:
- A private setting to share addiction-related difficulties and struggles
- A way for clients to feel empowered and establish a sense of independence
- A way for clients to identify their defense mechanisms
- A way for clients to learn tools to tolerate or manage stress
- A way for clients to problem-solve through difficult situations
- A way for clients to process emotions and feelings
- An increase in addiction treatment awareness and insight into problematic behaviors
- An increase in communication and socialization skills
- An increase in self-awareness and self-effectiveness
The benefits of individual therapy can be life-changing and often last longer than the therapy program does.
Where Can You Find Individual Addiction Therapy?
Most public or private health centers will have departments that provide mental health therapy options to clients. If not, they can likely point you in the right direction. If you’re already on track to get into an addiction treatment facility, ask if individual therapy can be part of your customized treatment plan. Most standard addiction treatment plans include it.
Make sure that the mental health professional that leads your therapy sessions prioritizes using
Evidenced-Based Practices (EBP), such as:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
Learn More About Midwest Detox Center’s Individual Addiction Therapy Services
The power of individual therapy is based on the idea that it’s beneficial to articulate feelings without judgment and that it’s healing to be understood. Individual therapy sessions can help build or repair internal and mental structures that weren’t adequately developed or protected previously. This restorative ability makes individual therapy an essential component of addiction treatment.
Looking for individual addiction therapy in Ohio as part of addiction treatment? Contact Midwest Detox Center by calling 833.647.0392 or reaching out to our team online.