Men and women can encounter different struggles. One of the significant differences between men and women is when substance abuse occurs. The differences have led to a growing belief in the need for single-sex facilities, such as a men’s rehab program.
Men’s detox and rehab programs recognize the power of relationships—that in substance abuse, sometimes it is just easier for a man to speak to another man or a woman to a woman. Our peers have been down the same roads and faced the same stigmas and assumptions. Going through a men’s rehab program in Ohio with people who have dealt with addiction firsthand is a powerful experience.
Why Choose a Men’s Rehab Program?
Men face particularly unique challenges that require special understanding and care from professionals. These challenges can be mental or physical and may be easier to address in a single-sex facility, such as a men’s rehab program in Ohio.
One of the reasons for men’s rehab is that men tend to use different drugs more than women and in different ways. For example, men are more likely to become addicted to heroin than women, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
That is not to say that women do not suffer from heroin abuse—it is an equal opportunity destroyer. Men show different patterns in how and why they use the drug, which dictates a specific direction for their treatment. For instance, psychologically speaking, men are more persuaded by peer pressure and the need to feel like they belong to a group. Addressing those needs requires a specific approach to treatment.
Men also face sexual dysfunction from addiction at a very high rate, which is a delicate topic. The importance of peer support in rehab and recovery cannot be underestimated. A men’s rehab program can be a powerful and uplifting experience for recovery.
What to Expect at a Men’s Rehab Center in Ohio
The issues and approaches to addiction treatment in men’s rehab, such as our men’s rehab facility in Ohio, may differ, but the structure is the same. Here is a short primer so you know what to expect once you enroll and begin the recovery process:
- Health assessment – The first step is a comprehensive medical and psychological exam, so doctors understand how you got to today.
- Treatment plan – Information from an evaluation is funneled into a treatment plan that will guide your recovery each step of the way.
- Drug and alcohol detox – Before you can move ahead in men’s rehab, you must go through a detox period to eliminate the toxins from your body.
- Aftercare services – You will receive follow-up counseling, the opportunity to participate in 12-step support groups, and other resources to guard against the possibility of relapse.
Statistics on Substance Abuse
There is substantial data about how men struggle with substance abuse compared to women, which backs up the need for gender-specific residential addiction treatment. The 2004-2014 Treatment Episode Data Set from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration looked at data of people admitted to treatment facilities and found then men outpaced women in the following categories:
- Alcohol – Men made up three of every four admissions
- Heroin – Two-thirds of admissions were men
- Other opiates – Half of the admissions were men
- Marijuana or hashish – Three-fourths of admissions were men
- Smoked cocaine – Three of every five admissions were men
- Methamphetamine – Just over half of admissions were men
Based on these numbers alone, it makes sense that addressing male-related issues at a men’s rehab is an essential service to offer as an option for healing and recovery.
Find Lasting Recovery with Men’s Rehab at Midwest Detox Center
Men’s rehab plays a vital role, but any recovery program is better than none. Get started today with detox at Midwest Detox Center. Our care team is here for you, ready to help guide you from intake through our detox center to counseling and aftercare.
At our men’s rehab program, you can find a full range of treatment and recovery services. Start today — the rest of your life is waiting. Contact us by calling 833.647.0392 for a confidential and caring consultation.